How? Positivity is contagious:
Think of your family, friends and work colleagues, identify those with ‘positive energy’ and spend time in their company. Celebrate their success and happiness, be joyful with them, bounce positivity back, and be positive together.
Think of your favourite things to do, make a list (if you are a list person), plan and do those things. Make it happen.
Think of your favourite music, listen to that music as often as you can, watch your favourite (uplifting) film, visit your favourite place.
Your mind (and body) have very similar needs, both need to be nourished with positive energy and goodness. In yoga this is called the 8 limbs of Yoga. For most of us in life this is our inherent values. The first 5 are easily obtainable to everyone.
- Be good to yourself, do not hurt yourself, and be kind and considerate. Be truthful and honest in your behaviour thoughts and intentions. Be gracious for who you are and the life you have. Be humble and non-egoistic.
- Live in a clean environment, unclutter and give away unused belongings. Eat a healthy diet, drink plenty of water. Take time to reflect and be mindful. (If you are religious make time to worship and pray). If you are not religious simply make time to channel positive thoughts.
- Move more! Find a physical (mindful) activity you can practice to nourish the body and mind with positivity. Here are a few: Yoga, Pilates, Golf, Swimming, Running, Cycling and even Fishing (you may need to get up and walk around the lake!)
- Make time to breath mindfully! You will be totally amazed if you have never tried this before. This can be anywhere. You can start each day, each meal, every meeting with some breathing exercises to bring oxygen into the body and mind. You will notice a calming effect and sense of wellbeing. If you are not sure how, find a good Yoga class/teacher to show you.
- Most of us have the gift of sight, sound, touch, smell and taste. Whenever these senses are stimulated with something beautiful celebrate that sense. From time to time, cover your eyes, close your ears spend some quiet time to truly appreciate these gifts. Look within yourself.
How I convey this in my teaching.
I feel so blessed and fortunate to have the gift and opportunity to teach. I am passionate about life, positivity, wellness, Yoga and Pilates. My passion and positivity is available to everyone I teach to harness and take away with them. My joy, is to share that positivity. (I hope I am not sounding too evangelical)!
A few weeks ago I worked at Macmillan Cancer Support, head office in London. I taught 3 short (10 minute) ‘Power Break’ sessions to employees in the middle of their working day. We worked on the principles of the 8 limbs of Yoga with mindful movement, posture work, gentle stretching and breathing exercises. The ‘Power Break’ sessions are designed to rejuvenate and invigorate attendees for the rest of the day and ‘administer a dose of positivity’. Here is some of the feedback:
Which part of the Power Break session did you find most useful? Please explain why:
- It was WONDERFUL! I felt so relaxed but also energised afterwards. The exercises were easy but really effective.
- The whole session was really interesting and the routine was simple and easy to follow. The facilitator was lovely and calm.
- The whole thing; it was lovely to have 15 minutes out of the work day to re-energise! I would love to see this rolled out to my team once a week, it would be great!
- It was just great to get away from my desk and the stress of the day and relax.
- I found the stretches most useful. It’s good to relieve tension from sitting too long.
- The whole session was helpful.
If success is measured by feedback, I feel very blessed and very successful. If you would like to add your feedback please post a comment on this page. I would love to hear from you.
Inspired Health and Fitness – The complete approach to health, fitness and wellbeing. See website for services available and testimonials.
Business Owner and Fitness Professional
Follow on facebook:
Inspired Health and Fitness - Community or Inspired Health and Fitness at Work
Follow me on twitter: @IHFcouk at work or @Pollywardy community
Website: Inspired Health and Fitness
Linkedin: Pauline Ward
Telephone: 07821 969405